Park debater sweeps in Iowa

Isaac Greenwood, Staff Writer

Senior wins tournament to guarantee spot in national competition
The last time a Park student won the Dowling Catholic Paradigm Tournament in Des Moines, IA was five years ago. Senior Richard Shmikler ended this streak after going undefeated at the competition, held Dec 7-9.
Shmikler, a varsity debater, went 6-0 in the primary rounds and advanced to win the tournament with a total 11-0 record. The Dowling Tournament attracts students from TX, FL, CA, IL and MN. The top four competitors of the weekend secure a spot for themselves at the June national tournament in Birmingham, AL.
Shmikler said debate appeals to him because of the unique learning environment it provides.
“Debate is an intellectual competition, (competitors) are not worried about just grades,” Shmikler said. “It has a distinct aspect of intellectual invigoration not found in high school.”
Debate adviser Peter Redmond said he thinks Shmikler is an inspiration for aspiring debaters.
“Richard has been working hard for four years and the fruits of his labor are beginning to show,” Redmond said. “He is a role model and leader, not just because of his success but because of his work ethic and dedication.”
Junior Dana Councilman, who went 3-3 in the preliminary rounds, said she still enjoyed the tournament.
“Richard’s success was one of the best parts of the weekend, because we are a smaller team we support each other well,” Councilman said.