New publication to spark interest in satire

Student organization to provide publication experience for all grades

Students will get a dose of humor next year from Park’s newly formed publication Park Spark.

With an emphasis on amusement and fun, Park Spark newspaper club began the early stages of a satirical news parody publication in early May.

With inspiration from The Onion, a national satirical newspaper known for its humorous angles on serious topics, Park Spark hopes members add variety to Park’s existing publications.

The Park Spark publication will be available for students in all four grades to join during the upcoming 2013-14 school year.
Junior Blake Smith, an Echowan yearbook staff member, said he looks forward to joining Park Spark because it is an opportunity to expand his knowledge of photography and design.

“I decided to join because I like The Onion and the idea of working on a publication with a similar focus,” Smith said. “I also wanted to take the opportunity to be involved with two publications.”

Staff adviser Chris Nordmark said he hopes to see students join Park Spark because it is a chance to become more involved with a publication before junior and senior year.

“Park Spark will be a fun way for students to be introduced to the publication process and satire,” Nordmark said.
Club co-founder junior Anna Glassman-Kaufman said the publication is a place for all students, no matter what grade level.

“We aim to include everyone by accepting members from all four grades and having no prerequisites,” Glassman-Kaufman said.

While underclassmen are not eligible to join the Echo newspaper staff or the Echowan yearbook staff until junior year, Park Spark is different as it allows underclassmen a chance to be a part of a publication as early as freshman year.
Freshman Shay Gilbert Burke said he thinks Park Spark is a good idea because it allows students to be involved with a publication before junior year.

“I want to be a part of a serious publication in the future, but I think Park Spark would be a good introduction to writing,” Gilbert Burke said.

According to Glassman-Kaufman, there is no application process in order to encourage more students to join Park Spark.

Only attendance to the organizational meetings is needed to be considered a member.

By shifting the approach to a student run publication, junior co-founders Maya Raz and Glassman-Kaufman said they hope to have members with a range of experience, as well as those who are less versed in the publication process.