School store expands

Students focus on marketing and promotion

Sam Orloff

Senior Zak Sulub pours a slushie for a customer.

A greater emphasis at the school store on attracting more students resulted in new expanded hours and additional advertising this year, according to senior store manager Mikey Segal.

Students participating in the school store operations class manage a student-run store commonly referred to as the Storiole, according to Sophia Ross, who teaches the school store operations class.

Ross said the Storiole allows students to experiment with business in a nontraditional learning environment.

“The students actually run the store completely on their own and I just facilitate that,” Ross said. “We’re not sitting in class with a textbook, but instead it is more hands-on.”

According to Segal, the store’s main goals are related to marketing.

“We are trying to make students aware that the store is open,” Segal said. “We’ve heard in the past that people don’t even know that the store is operating.”

Ross said the students put greater focus in expanding into the realm of group apparel.

“One of the things that we are working on is doing special orders for group apparel because we can get it much cheaper,” Ross said.

Junior Josh Livon said he noticed many of the new changes the store made.

“The store looks nicer this year and I can tell that they are changing the way they do things,” Livon said.

Ross said the store will release a full schedule of store hours once participating students finalize their availability.

“Right now, in addition to being open during lunch, a few students may open it on Tuesdays and Thursdays before school, as well as during fourth and seventh hours,” Ross said.

Sam Orloff, Managing Editor
My name is Sam Orloff. I’m a Big Lebowski enthusiast, which is, just like your opinion, man. When I’m not lamenting the performance of Minnesota sports teams, I pass the time by rewatching the Big Lebowski, reading the Wall Street Journal and making obscure political references. I don’t always respond to texts because I tend...
Will Huyck, Writer
Hello, My name is Will Huyck but most people here know me as Dark Lord Opinions Master and/or Donovan McNabb. My position on staff is Opinions editor but I mainly function as a snake hunter (If you see one let me know immediately). When I’m not writing, I spend my time drinking Caribou Coffee and...