Latino club discusses possibilities after high school

Club supports members in their planning for the future

According to adviser Daniel Perez, the Latin club recently transformed its club meetings to focus on discussing important topics such as post-secondary options with peers.

“This particular meeting we talked about the process of getting to college,” Perez said.

According to freshman Kristi Thompson, the first meeting with this new format discussed college, graduation and possible scholarships for students at Park.

“What you do in high school sets you up for the rest of your life and your career. It can influence what you end up doing,” Thompson said.

According to Perez, many students are not aware of the impact of their grades on their post-secondary education which then could change their decision.

“I feel a lot of the times Latino students have different experiences that are not mainstream experiences in a way because of immigration and mixed static and legal statues of kids and parents,” Perez said.

Thompson said the meeting helped her see the possibilities she has after high school. She said it allowed her to think of new possibilities and to prepared for college.

“(I learned that) can go to college during high school and go to different types of colleges and ways that you can make it more financially easier,” Thompson said.

According to Perez, many students who attended the discussion benefited from the meeting, through showing them real examples of students going through the college process.

“It was a way for them to not only see a person that has lived and experienced it themselves but successfully gone through it,” Perez said.

According to Perez, the Latino club’s next meeting is at 1:25 p.m. Dec. 13 in room c350.

Breanna Thompson, Assistant Photo Editor
My name is Breanna Thompson I am the only assistant photo editor. I enjoy being creative.
David Bryant, Entertainment Editor
What’s up, my name is David Bryant, the entertainment editor this year. I am all about the local music scene and talking about it. I am in a band @9voltmn and you should pop out to our next concert. I also enjoy deep woods hiking!
Hayley Westwood, Photographer
Hey my name is Hayley Westwood and you’re watching Disney Channel. I am a junior and a new photographer for the Echo. I enjoy going to the dog park and eating wontons.