Debate team kicks off the new school year

Members look to improve on overall skills

Freshmen Makenzie Lomont (left) and Samantha Rekstad work on debate skills during meeting Sept. 19. The debate team meets at 3:30 p.m. every Monday and Wednesday in room B222.

Samiya Mohamed

Samiya Mohamed

Samiya Mohamed

Amaia Barajas

As sophomore Liz Hodges looks forward to the new debate season, she said she hopes to develop skills she has learned from debate.

“I would like to be more articulate and be able to be a better public speaker in general. As well as improve research skills, writing skills and things like that,” Hodges said.

Sophomore Meredith Reise said she wants to continue succeeding during debate competitions, but she is also looking forward to helping new members.

“I’d like to win another tournament. I would also like to help the novices get better because we have a lot more novices this year than we have junior varsity, I’m actually looking forward to helping because it’s so much fun,” Reise said.

According to debate coach Paul Manning, debate is a club that can help you learn skills for later in life.

“So one big thing I talk about is Warren Buffett, one of the top three richest people in the U.S, when he interviews people one of the biggest things he looks for is the ability to communicate an idea and you don’t really learn those in school, it’s really the best way to learn to read anything, think about anything well enough to (compete),” Manning said.

Ridges said that joining debate can help develop skills that colleges look for and it’s a good day to stay informed.

“From an academic standpoint it’s really good on college applications and it helps you really prepare for writing papers, doing well in school,” Ridges said. “Critical thinking skills, writing, research skills, all those kinds of things. As well as the fact that it’s really fun and you get to become a more politically informed person, which is important.”

Manning says the club is open to anyone who would like to join.

“We’re always welcoming new people who are willing to try something new,” Manning said.

According to Manning, the debate team meets after school, Mondays and Wednesdays in B222.

Amaia Barajas, Features Editor

I’m features™. Hot cheetos and dr pepper are my favorite snacks feel free to bring them to me whenever you feel like it. I’ll give you a penny and...