Honey Candle Company creates buzz

Small business started in business class

Honey Candle Company creates buzz

Sophomore Evie Gutzke sells a candle to sophomore Maia Seidel outside the lunch room Nov. 7. The candles are selling for seven dollars .

Sadie Yarosh

Sadie Yarosh

Sadie Yarosh

Megan Raatz

According to student employee Evie Gutzke, the Honey Candle Company is a part of the business innovations class where students pick a product to sell and target a specific group of consumers.

“We picked candles because we thought it was cute to hand make them,” Gutzke said. “They’re made out of beeswax and other upcycled wax.”

Business innovations teacher Abigail Lugo said although there are restrictions on what students can sell, she plays more of an advisory role in class when it comes to them running their businesses.

They can come to me for advice or guidance, but ultimately the day-to-day decisions are theirs to make,” Lugo said. “I’m proud of all the companies and the creativity they’ve brought to the table.”

Lugo said the class avoids getting caught up in district regulations by adhering to school rules.

“I have a Business Innovations Legal team where we discuss the different business proposals before companies get a final approval,” Lugo said.

According to student CEO Casey Hunter, the candle making process is not as hard as it may seem.

“We melt the wax in a double boiler, and we make our own scents using essential oils,” Hunter said. “The only hard part is pretty much keeping the wicks in place.”

Gutzke said their company is still producing candles and coming up with new scents, and if anyone is interested they can direct message their company account (@honey.candles.slp) on Instagram.

“We have a new scent for the holiday season,” said Gutzke. “It’s a secret so far but we’ll see soon.”

The candles are sold for seven dollars each during lunch and in the hallways, but the best way to contact Honey is through their Instagram. The scent options currently available are warm vanilla and focus.

Megan Raatz, Writer

Howdy pardner! My name is Megan Raatz and I’m a writer for the Echo. This is my sophomore year and first time writing for this wonderful paper. I love...