What’s new for Student Council

New changes improving the Student Council
Freshmen+Arjuna+Murugesan+and+Finn+Brooberg+plan+out+the+upcoming+pep+fest+Dec.+12.+The+Student+Council+has+been+growing+and+added+many+new+members+this+year.+
Paxon Myers
Freshmen Arjuna Murugesan and Finn Brooberg plan out the upcoming pep fest Dec. 12. The Student Council has been growing and added many new members this year.

The Student Council is making some new changes and evolving to better impact students at Park. These changes include new ways to connect to students, as well as better planning for student events and continuous growth of the Student Council.

Student Council is trying out new ways to attract the attention of students by using social media. At the beginning of the 2023-24 school year the Student Council created an account on Instagram to post about upcoming school events. The Student Council has also taken to TikTok to try and better reach students.

Student Council advisor Emily Rennhak said the Student Council is working to better spread information about the group by exploring new ways to connect with students.

“I don’t know if the whole school knows what exactly the Student Council does,” Rennhak said. “So our social media managers and students right now are making new ways to engage with the whole school in different ways.” 

Senior Cayden Kuss said planning for homecoming didn’t go as smoothly as hoped and the Student council is making an effort to improve their event planning. 

“We kind of struggled a little bit during homecoming, because we had to rush everything. So this year we’re working on being productive when we can because we don’t have that much time,” Kuss said.

According to sophomore Shepard Cox, the Student Council is actively planning their upcoming events and improving current events.

“We are planning out how we want to do the pep fest and do other events like candy grams,” Cox said.

According to Rennhak, future events will hopefully have a bigger impact on students and the Student Council is trying to better connect to the community as a whole. 

“We’re trying to find out other ways to get more involved in the community. So pairing up doing different charity drives, like we did tackle kids’ night with the football team,” Rennhak said.  “And then we’re hosting different candygram events and we hope to do a talent show in the spring. So again, I think we have a lot of potential for a big impact.” 

According to Cox, the Student Council has been improving, partly due to the growth and students in the council being committed. 

“I think it’s definitely improved over the years, and I feel like we really have a lot going for it,” Cox said. “We’ve worked a lot harder and we’ve really built it up after COVID.” 

Rennhak said the Student Council has really expanded recently and the growth has some drawbacks along with the benefits. 

“We’ve grown a lot this year. Last year was my first year as one of the advisors and we started out with like four kids and now we have over 50 kids registered as members. Because this is our first year being so big, we’re still kind of navigating how to share roles in Student Council,” Rennhak said.

Student council’s improvements and new methods of connecting to the student body mean that the future had upcoming events to look out for. 

The Student Council meets at 7:45 a.m. every Tuesday morning in room C375.