Many firsts for Park’s bands

Park’s bands have their first concerts of the year
Cole Denham
Juniors Claire Grommesh and Izzy Schneider play the guitar for Park’s jazz band concert Dec. 12. The jazz band concert and ninth grade concert were held at Park’s middle school.

On Dec. 12, Park’s band performed their first concert of the year at the middle school auditorium. The concert consisted of the Park jazz band, along with the 9th grade band. Each band performed four songs of their own. 

One first was for Park’s new band teacher Annaliese Heim, who conducted her first concert. Heim said she was very proud of her students amidst the adversity of having to move locations.

“I was really proud of the students and all the work that they put in to make the concert a success,” Heim said. “This year, we had to move everything to the middle school because of the construction at the high school.”

Freshman Griffin Hanson said this was his first band concert and he was happy with how the concert went.

“I think everyone enjoyed the concert tonight,” Hanson said. “Definitely heard some laughs and saw some smiles.”

Junior Lucas Tangelson said he has been in band since freshman year, and this year the band is a lot less strict but more loose and fun.

“My favorite thing about this band is (there is) a little less restriction, a little more comfort,” Tangelson said. “It’s not as strict (in) teaching, it’s more chill.”

Hanson said he likes being able to show off what the band has been working on. He said he likes to see all the hard work come together and to be able to show his work off to his family and friends.

“It’s really nice to see all the hard work that we put into these songs when it all comes together. It’s a great community,” Hanson said. “I love showing the parents, the friends and the family all the cool stuff that we get to do every day in band class.”

Tangelson said after a concert he feels like he just finished a soccer game.

“I like the feeling of finishing the concert or doing well on a piece and then leaving and going home and eating some dinner. That’s similar to a soccer game,” Tangelson said. “It’s just not as good because a soccer game just feels better physically, (but) mentally it’s kind of fun to play.”

Heim said the only thing the band would have to work on would be to get used to playing in a bigger space.

“(We need to) just continue to perform in that space because it’s different, obviously, then this little box of a room,” Heim said. “I think we’re just going to keep trying to improve what we sound like in the auditory.”

Tangelson said with many young players in the band, the best way to get better is just with experience.

“I think it was an all right concert. Seven out of 10 I’d say could have been better,” Tangelson said. “We have a lot of young players this year so just some overall experience.”