Referendum to update school, other district facilities

100.9 million dollar upgrade to be voted on

Claire Kaiserman and Atticus Raasch

Photo used with permission from Mathew Thomas

According to Superintendent Astein Osei, two different referendums will attempt to pass on Nov. 6.

Osei said that each referendum will address different needs throughout the school district.

“We currently have an operating levy in place that’s set to expire,” Osei said. “There is no additional tax impact – it would be the same tax impact that residents are currently experiencing. (The operating levy) would help with funding teachers, staff supplies and just the basic general pieces you need to run a school district.”

According to school board chair Jim Yarosh, a bond referendum is necessary for making improvements to buildings in the district.

“(Park is) an inner ring suburb. We’ve got older facilities, we don’t get enough funding every year to do major improvements that buildings require after a while,” Yarosh said. “(Bond referendums are) really the only way, under school finance laws, to do something like this.”

According to Osei, the proposed bond referendum will put forth $100.9 million to provide renovations to facilities around the district.

“The bond referendum (is) the $100.9 million facility enhancement improvement,” Osei said. “(The referendum) really encompasses all sorts of different projects across the district.”

Freshman Luci Jensen said she looks forward to the new changes the referendum will bring.

“I think (the new referendum will) have a positive outcome,” Jensen said. “If we’re getting new materials, new everything, (the school is) better.”

Freshman Ryan Barnett said upgrades such as the proposed large common area would bring the student body together.

“It would be nice if we had a central commons area that everyone can go to because it seems like everyone is spread out around the whole school,” Barnett said.

Osei said the administration will continue to aid the community through the referendum process and answer any questions posed to them.

“We’re not just sitting back just because the community’s always supported us,” Osei said. “It is important to make ourselves available to answer any questions they have (about the referendum).”

Atticus Raasch, Managing Editor
Hey guys it’s Atti and I’ll be one of the managing editors for this year. Some people refer to me as “The Chrysanthemum” but most people aren’t quite there with me yet. My marvel rating is currently 253,294 (and counting) but that’s ok, I guess it’s not a big deal, whatever. I sometimes eat sour...