Interim assistant principal appointed to PELSB by Dayton

Penny Dupris to serve Minnesota teachers

Interim assistant principal Penny Dupris attends a meeting with principal Scott Meyers Nov. 20. Dupris was appointed to the PELSB before she became interim assistant principal.

Mara Zapata

Mara Zapata

Eli Curran-Moore

As a newly appointed member of the Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board, interim assistant principal Penny Dupris said she feels happy to have another opportunity to benefit her fellow teachers.

“Hiring new teachers is a great responsibility for setting the standards for who we want in our schools teaching our kids. Being on the board really helps me give back to my teaching community, it’s something I feel really passionate about,” Dupris said. “I really want to work with dedicated educators and be able to help schools hire the best possible candidates.”

Director of teaching and learning Kari Ross said the Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) regulates teacher laws and discipline.

“(PELSB) is made up of teachers, higher education officials and other administrators from across the state. It’s a very small group of people with a very large responsibility,” Ross said. “There are a whole list of rules and regulations that teachers agree to when they get their teaching license. The board decides those rules and defines the consequences are if they don’t.”

Dupree said the PELSB also works to set standards to improve the quality of Minnesota teachers.

“The board is responsible for overseeing teacher licensing, teacher preparation, what kind of schools and classes teachers need to go through to get their license and teacher ethics in Minnesota,” Dupris said. “In 2017, new legislation came out creating a new tiered licensing system, so we’ll make sure school districts can meet the new education requirements.”

Principal Scott Meyers said he values Dupris’ insight and passion for students.

“Dupris came very highly recommended, she’s been with our district for about nine years as an educator and highly regarded in her home building,” Meyers said. “Being she’s interim, I’ve really appreciated hearing her knowledge and mainly her passion for educating young people, I definitely think that makes her a great fit for the board.”

Ross said the previous board of teachers has undergone some recent changes.

“In 2016 the legislator asked for the board of teaching be redesigned, so now there is a brand new board and an opportunity to redefine how we provide licensure and oversight for teachers in the state of Minnesota, it’s a very big responsibility,” Ross said.

Meyers said Dupris has a large scope of responsibilities involving leadership opportunities at Park.

“(Dupris) has worked directly at times with our english language learners, she’s been an active member of our professional development group, she also helps with our professional learning communities,” Meyers said. “She’s done both educational leadership and then also worked in the student services realm.”

Ross said Dupris’ multifaceted work experience will be an advantage serving on the PELSB.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to be an interim assistant principal and and serve on the board of teaching, because (Dupris) has a long history as a successful teacher in Park, and the role of a principal is a little bit different,” Ross said. “Now she will have personally experienced both roles and know how they work together not only to support kids in our school district, but also how principals can support teachers to be successful.”

Freshman Gabriela Silberfarb said she believes it’s beneficial for students to know what the administration is planning on doing.

“I did not know (Dupris was appointed). If we don’t know what our staff principals and assistant principals are like we might not trust our administration, and trust is important,” Silberfarb said.

Meyers said as principal he also appreciates Dupris’ ability to both listen and lead.

“Working as a fellow administrator I appreciate her strengths around hearing student voice and bringing that to our team, it’s both a great opportunity for her to learn things and also for me to learn from her,” Meyers said. “It’s important to have strong leaders in our building and Mrs. Dupris embodies strong leadership.”