Publication must work toward equity

Echo begins to represent school demographics

When I enter the Echo room fifth hour every day, I see inequality.

Because there are 55 whites and five people of color, I instantly feel I must transform into a different person. My perspective changes, the way I talk changes — my identity changes.

For example, I remember when I was assigned the position of the diversity editor. My job was to make sure our sources and content represented our diverse school. I had to show the staff how to keep track of the people they interviewed. The majority of the class staring back at me was white, and I felt I had to talk “white” in order to not be judged or misunderstood.

I love Echo because I’ve been able to take my writing skills to a higher level, but Park is a diverse school, and I want this club to be diverse, too. We only get one perspective when everyone who writes for the paper comes from the same race.  Making the organization more diverse could diversify our content.

I remember the first day I entered the Echo in August 2015 to write my first story. I expected to see many different races, but when I entered I just saw one color. I was so surprised and confused, and didn’t know the reason for this. It was uncomfortable at first because I didn’t belong. But I decided to stay because of the positive effect it had on my writing and because if I could stay in this club it could encourage other people of color to join as well.

Echo has had a great impact on me as a person, despite the racial inequality. I encourage anyone to sign up. It’s not too late — the adviser, Lori Keekley, is still looking for more members. It’s up to Park to diversify this staff because getting multiple perspectives will impact Echo positively. Anyone can receive a great experience.

Anyone interested in joining Echo can talk to Keekley in room C363.