Delayed remorse for anti-Semitic cartoon

The New York Times apologizes too late

Adin Zweigbaum

The New York Times apologized for their anti-Semitic cartoon three days too late. The cartoon shouldn’t have been uploaded in the first place, but three days is too much to wait for an apology.

The New York Times published a cartoon April 25 depicting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as a guide dog with a Star of David collar, leading United States President Donald Trump. This image received instant backlash and was later removed.

The cartoon is not only incredibly anti-Semitic, but is also offensive to President Trump and the country of Israel as a whole. By depicting the two in this manner, it implies that Israel is controlling, and the United States is blindly following.

In a tweet by The New York Times Opinion, they apologized for the extremely offensive cartoon three days after its release.

In their “apology”, The New York Times spends little time actually apologizing and mostly writes excuses on why it was uploaded. Instead of justifying publishing the cartoon, The New York Times should assure its readers an instance like this won’t happen again.

This cartoon should not have even been uploaded in the first place. The fact that it took The New York Times so long to apologize makes the situation even worse. As the third most read publication in the United States, The New York Times has a responsibility to provide its readers with the truth and not the harassment of a religion.

As one of many Jews at Park and in America as a whole, I am deeply offended by the cartoon. With recent anti-Semitic events, such as the Chabad of Poway synagogue shooting, it just fuels my distress.

With only 0.2 percent of the world being Jewish, it is devastating that 26 percent of the world holds anti-Semitic beliefs. The New York Times should not be fueling these beliefs, they should be supplying readers with facts, not hatred.

Adin Zweigbaum, Writer

Hi I’m Adin Zweigbaum, I’m a sophomore this is my first year in Echo. I play ultimate frisbee and football. When I’m not at school I’m either playing...

1 Comment

One Response to “Delayed remorse for anti-Semitic cartoon”

1. Joan staveley on May 2nd, 2019 6:47 am

You got me curious about who illustrated the cartoon so I looked it up: The cartoon was drawn by the Portuguese cartoonist António Moreira Antunes and originally published by Expresso, a newspaper in Lisbon. It was then picked up by CartoonArts International, a syndicate for cartoons from around the world.

• Delayed remorse for anti-Semitic cartoon

Kate Smith controversy reveals double standard

Tiger Woods proves to be an all-American hero

March Madness seen as unjust, facts say otherwise

We are tired of being black

District considers start, end time changes

PCP: St. Louis Park City Council decides not to become a sanctuary city

University of Minnesota finally hires female president

Inmates fight fires in California

P/CP: St. Paul homeless encampment residents evicted by city Nov. 15

Focus on school safety provides reassurance