Echowan celebrates distribution day

Yearbooks handed out, still available

Senior+Sophia+Davenport+distributes+yearbooks+to+students+that+purchased+them+May+29.++

Grace Farley

Senior Sophia Davenport distributes yearbooks to students that purchased them May 29.

Abby Intveld and Dani Orloff

After nine months of stress and hard work, managing editor and senior Ilsa Olsen said distribution day is extremely rewarding for the Echowan staff.

“Distribution day is literally the best day ever,” Olsen said. “Just handing the book to people and seeing them look through it and say ‘oh my god it looks so good’ and ‘oh that’s me’ is such a good feeling.”

According to editor-in-chief and senior Olivia Mosby, Echowan distributed yearbooks May 29 and 30 during lunch.

For Mosby, distribution day was both thrilling and nerve-wracking because of the possibility for errors.

“It was rewarding just to see the final product in person,” Mosby said. “But it also is kind of stressful because we’re a student publication, we’re obviously going to make mistakes, so we were just hoping the mistakes we made weren’t messing up anyone’s representation or offending people.”

According to designer and junior Sarah Wojtasiak, distribution day marked the moment she would know students’ reactions to her and the other staffers’ work.

“It was really important to me that people like the book and what it looks like because I feel like that’s a big factor for everyone to enjoy their yearbook,” Wojtasiak said. “So I wanted to choose colors that would stand out but also ones that people would like, which was really stressful.”

Sophomore Roselyne Iwunbu said the chosen colors and theme were her favorite aspect of the yearbook.

“I just really like how the cover has super vibrant colors on it and it’s something different,” Iwunbu said.  

According to Wojtasiak, “A New Retrospective” theme sparked from an idea of hers at the end of last year.

“I thought of the theme last year for one of my mocks,” Wojtasiak said. “I looked online for cool words and retrospective came up. I then connected it to retro and new, which is a cool contrast that would work well with the book.”

Olsen said the yearbook theme reflects the various changes being made at Park this year under the referendum.

“We wanted to do the theme because it was perfect for this year with all the new construction and referendum and having this new generation, but then also trying to have aspects of the school’s tradition. It’s basically the idea of new versus old.”

Despite the various weather-related cancellations Park experienced this year, Mosby said she was proud of the staff’s perseverance and success in selling a large amount of books.

“We had to adjust to snowdays that messed up our final deadline so both our sales editor and PR editor did a really good job handling that and advertising for yearbooks,” Mosby said. “We ended up selling a few more books than we did last year which is great.”

Sophomore Hayden Burkhart said having the memories of high school visualized is the key value of owning a yearbook.

“Having a yearbook is really a memory from your childhood,” Burkhart said. “It’s really worth the money to have that.”

According to Mosby, those who purchased yearbooks can pick theirs up in room B229 during fifth hour until the last day of school. Those who wish to purchase a yearbook can bring $75 in cash to B229 during fifth hour until yearbooks run out.