Rainy days and competitive games

Park boy’s soccer loses 1-0 against St. Paul Central
Ayelel Meyen
Junior Gael Miteo prepares for the next play as the ball goes out of bounds. Park’s boys soccer loses a close game with a 0-1 loss against St. Paul Central.

Following a physical match against New Prague on Sept. 28, Park boy’s soccer prepared in anticipation to compete against St. Paul Central, a highly ranked team in the St. Paul City Conference. According to junior Gael Miteo, the team focused on both technical and tactical play during practice and maintained a competitive mentality, instilling confidence in each other.

“At practice, we focused on crossing the ball, passing the ball, shooting, and free kicks,” said Miteo. “We also just talk to each other, trying to hype each other up.”

Head coach Anson Opara said the challenges players faced with the inclement weather during the match and not being conditioned to adjust to these environmental conditions is what determined the game.

“What we were working on was good. Because it was a game in the rain, it made it a lot more difficult for the ball to be controlled while it was wet and while the wind was blowing,” Opara said. “Adapting to that sort of environment makes the game way different from what we’ve been working with.”

Senior Brady Shultz said although the outcome is not what the team desired, they have the motivation to finish their season with earning the results they want, and plan to continue to work hard and be competitive as a collective.

“Overall, the outcome was not great. It wasn’t the result we wanted, but we played well,” said Shultz. “We have to continue to practice hard and work as a team to do well.”

According to Opara, the mentality of the players also seemed to take a large toll on the outcome of the final score. Opara said he views this situation as a learning experience that the team can apply to future games.

“We learned a lot about team frustration. In close games, you have to make sure that, while you’re playing, you score in certain moments because you might not get that opportunity again,” said Opara. “You really have to capitalize on your opportunities when you have them.”

Park will take on Washburn at 3:00 p.m. on Oct. 7 at Minneapolis Washburn High School.