Meet the Athlete: Cordell Birden

Clara Bagne
Junior Cordell Birden takes off his warmup jacket for the 100-meter dash May 30. Birden won the 200-meter heat and will compete in state next week.

How long have you been running track?
I’ve been running track for 3 years now. I started running track because I’ve always been told I was fast.

What are your favorite memories from running track?
One of the highlights of my track experience this year was winning gold at the Metro West Conference Championships with my 4 x 100 relay team.

Can you describe how you felt when you won first in conference with your 4 x 100 relay?
I felt very happy for my teammates, as they are all seniors. It also felt good knowing that we won since there would be another chance for this 4 x 100 relay in the future.

What is your advice for new track athletes?
My advice for new track athletes is to stick to it and preserve it, as it may be challenging at first, but once you overcome those challenges, it is amazing.

What are your goals for the rest of the season and the future?
My goals for the remainder of the season are to surpass the school record for the 4 x 100 meter relay, the 100 and 200 meter sprint. My goal for the near future or for next year is to win a state title.

What has gone well in your high school career?
Throughout my high school journey, one aspect that has been a success is the numerous medals I’ve won, and most importantly made it to a state championship.

What have been some of your most proud accomplishments?
During my sophomore year, I achieved a significant milestone by securing a spot in the top 10 at state, which I consider to be my proudest accomplishment.

What do you want to accomplish in the next few years?
I would love to pursue track in college, and I think it would be an amazing experience.

What is the best piece of advice you’ve gained from your coaches?
The best advice I got from my coaches was during a meet, and they told me to just focus on myself.

Why do you think people should join track?
I think people should join track because it is a good place to make a lot of friends; everyone is very friendly and welcoming, and you make many memories.