Senior season coming to a close

Graduation brings the end of many athletic careers
Clara Bagne
Senior Ruby Massie walks to her bus. Massie participated in her last section track meet before state May 30.

As the 23-24 school year comes to an end, so do all sports for the seniors. Some athletes are continuing on to play at a higher collegiate level and some are ending their athletic careers in highschool. Many students are left with the decision to pursue academics or to further their athletic careers.

Softball assistant coach Kristin Johnson said she’ll miss all the seniors she’s gotten close with during their time playing for Park, and seeing them leave will be hard.

“We have two seniors that are graduating this year, they both have been playing for 5-6 years with us so we have all grown close, it will be sad to see them go,” Johnson said.

Senior lacrosse player Lilly Fandel Thompson said she will miss high school lacrosse but she’s ready to play in college. Lily will be playing at St. Benedict next fall.

“It’s bittersweet that the season is over,” Fandel Thompson said. “I’m sad that my last time playing with all my teammates is over, but I’m excited to start on the next chapter and play at the next level.”

Senior tennis captain Nate Schwietering said he will miss the teammates that made the season fun. Many athletes choose to play sports for the friends and amusement it brings.

“I’ll miss my team and friends that made everything so much more fun. It’s been so fun to grow better each day with them,” Schwietering said. “I’ll also miss my coaches who helped me get to where I am now.”

Fandel Thompson said the relationships she has built with her teammates are something she will miss. They shared a love for the sports and they made lacrosse special.

“I’ll miss the relationships I made the most. My teammates are some of my closest friends and just some of the best relationships l’ve made during my time at Park,” Fandel Thompson said. “We share the same passion and love for our sport, which has bonded us, and created some of the best memories that’ll last a lifetime.”

According to Johnson her advice to incoming seniors is to work hard, the team has a good chance to go far next year in the playoffs.

“We have a huge group of juniors that are going to be playing softball next year. So the big things are to work hard and be ready for the season and come and be your best,” Johnson said. “We have a ton of potential and it would be a great way to honor these juniors that have been with the program for a long time.”

Fandel Thompsons advice to younger classes is to take advantage of the time you have.
“I would tell younger athletes to take in every moment and enjoy it,” Fandel Thompson said. “I know it’s cliché, but time really does fly by. Keep your head up when it gets hard, celebrate every moment, and have fun.”

Johnson said her goal for seniors is to have them balance school and their academics.

“Seniors, when it comes to sports, (are) still excited and still want to play hard,” Johnson said. “It’s just making sure academically that they’re keeping their grades up when seniors slide hits after spring break.”

Schwietering said he loved spending time with his teammates inside of practice but mostly because of the relationships he was able to develop outside of practice. He is going to miss all the good times and friendships made during the tennis season.

“My favorite highschool sport memory is all of the Friday practices with the team, staying later to keep practicing and then going out with the team after, all great memories I will miss,” Schwietering said.