Boys’ lacrosse shows improvements

Park falls to Chaska

Boys’ lacrosse shows improvements

Junior Tristan Rooney looks to keep possession of the ball and avoid Chaska defenders. Park scored its first and only goal during the first quarter of the game.

Ella Hammerstrand

Ella Hammerstrand

Ella Hammerstrand

Nolan Kelly

According to coach Eric Buckley, the team shows assurance of eventually outmaneuvering and punishing its opponents.

“The kids are adjusting to the pace of varsity and we really saw that on a fast break, almost scoring a goal off of it,” Buckley said.

Buckley said despite losing 1-14, the team has shown a noticeable increase in performance and potential since the beginning of the season.

“The season has just been an ongoing process of teaching kids the game,” Buckley said. “We’ve got a lot of new players.”

According to freshman Evan Rosvold, who plays as a midfielder and attackman, the team has made progress towards its goals, especially in the area of ball movement and possession.

“We got a lot better at ground balls and passes,” Rosvold said. “At the beginning of the season, our passing and catching skills were horrible.”

In particular, Rosvold said he has noticed improvements in fundamentals and offensive approach.

“I think I was good about creating my own space,” Rosvold said. “If a defender was getting close and taking up my space, I could create my own.”

According to Buckley, all progress made by the team and individual players will contribute to more success later in the season.

“We just have to take the little success,” Buckley said. “The little things are coming together more often.”

Nevertheless, the team will continue focusing on the biggest weaknesses at hand, Rosvold said.

“I think it’s really just making sure that we have a good slide on defense and two defenders in the crease at all times,” Rosvold said.

Despite showing potential against Chaska, the team will need to continue to compile everything it has worked on throughout practices, Buckley said.

“They know where to be and they know what to do,” Buckley said. “Now it’s just knowing what to do with their hands.”Park’s next game will be against Burnsville 4:30 p.m. May 13, at Burnsville High School, according to MN Lacrosse Hub.

Nolan Kelly, Writer, Photographer

Hi-ya! My name is Nolan, I am a senior and this is my first year on Echo (and yes, I must be crazy). Also, my picture reaches the same conclusion. Things...