French club unites students

French club brings students together through culture
French+club+advisor+Kyle+Sweeney+dresses+up+for+a+club+meeting+Dec.+21.+The+French+club+had+a+pre-winter+break+get+together+with+hot+cocoa+and+breakfast.+
Georgia Hughes
French club advisor Kyle Sweeney dresses up for a club meeting Dec. 21. The French club had a pre-winter break get together with hot cocoa and breakfast.

French club is filled with French music and foods from croissants to European cookies. On Dec. 21, French club held a holiday celebration before winter break and many gathered for the last time until the new year. 

French club advisor Kyle Sweeney said her favorite part of advising the club is supporting her students and seeing them interested in French outside of school.

“I get to support what all the students are interested in. Some people really do like French and French culture,” Sweeney said. “The students wanted to do a holiday French club today and they planned it. It reassures me that my students are in French class for more than the credit.”

Sophomore Shepard Cox said his favorite part of French club is the community that it brings together and the activities they do in class, like trying new European foods and talking about what is going on in their lives with friends.

“I like French club because it’s a place where you can come and eat French food and talk to people and it’s really relaxing,” Cox said. “We just come in and eat some croissants or whatever people have brought and talk about French class and our lives.” 

Sophomore Jacob Skelly said he likes the community of the club and hopes that the future of it will see more new faces and more food.

“I like talking to people and listening to the French music,” Skelly said. “I hope more people will come with more food.”

According to Sweeney, she hopes for the future of the French club to be carried on after the 2024 senior class. With the seniors being the ones typically running and organizing the club and its meetings, she said it is vital that the future seniors take this up. 

“I hope that it continues,” Sweeney said. “It is usually the senior class that runs it, so it depends on the senior class each year.”

Cox said he believes French club is important to students at Park because it provides a chance and place for the students taking French class to connect together outside of class. 

“I think it’s important because it brings a community together of all the kids who take French,” Cox said.

Sweeney said she feels the club is important to Park students because it can help them in their academic French class. The club provides more background and culture that can help add to their experience in class.

“It is nice to have a club also related to class,” Sweeney said. “Students have a lot of other interests, like sports and games, but French club enhances the experience (of the academic class).”

You can find their next meeting on instagram @slpfrenchclub