IB Biology seniors acknowledge women in science

Posters created in honor of International Woman’s Day

Junior+Lindsey+Prestholt+views+posters+made+by+IB+Biology+seniors+in+the+science+hallway.+IB+Biology+teacher+Julie+Schilz+hoped+the+research+her+students+did+on+notable+women+in+science+would+educate+and+inspire+others+at+Park.+
Junior Lindsey Prestholt views posters made by IB Biology seniors in the science hallway. IB Biology teacher Julie Schilz hoped the research her students did on notable women in science would educate and inspire others at Park.

Hadeal Rizeq

Hadeal Rizeq

There has been a correction made to this story, read the revised version below. 

After getting the idea from the radio and social media, IB Biology teacher Julie Schilz had her students present research about female scientists for International Women’s Day.

“I (had) my students research a female scientist and create a poster highlighting her achievements,” Schilz said. “They presented their posters to the class on International Women’s Day.”

Schilz said female scientists experience difficulty under a huge stigma, so she wanted to have her students rise above and appreciate women.

“Women are seriously underrepresented in science, (and) as a science teacher, on International Women’s Day, I (wanted) to celebrate the brave and strong women who accomplished amazing things,” Schilz said.

Senior Eben Manegbe said she did her research project on ophthalmologist Gail Robert Martin with senior Alexandra Smith. Manegbe said it was amazing to learn more about female scientists and their work.

“(This type of project) was something we should do more often. It’s our responsibility to educate ourselves about the people who thought (of scientific) ideas,” Manegbe said.

Senior Ryan Gemilere said he saw this project as a way to honor his childhood.

“This project was beneficial because it gave me an opportunity to recognize and celebrate one of my personal role models, Michelle Thaller,” Gemilere said. “I think the work she does is amazing and it was rewarding to reflect on that.”

Gemilere said by recognizing women in science, it inspires others to enter science.

“Women are becoming more influential in many scientific fields, (and) taking on key leadership roles,” Gemilere said. “It makes me happy to see both the current generation of scientists and students challenging the status quo and pushing to make the (science) field more equal.”

Schilz said this activity was simply a nice way to celebrate women’s contributions towards advanced science, but she also hopes students — especially females, to see the research projects as an opportunity for girls

“I hope (this project) will inspire more girls to pursue science in the future,” Schilz said. “Hopefully if (girls) see a woman who looks like them or read a woman’s story they identify with, a career in science won’t seem like such a stretch.”

1 Comment

One Response to “IB Biology seniors acknowledge women in science”

1. Julie Schilz on March 26th, 2017 7:36 am

Didn’t get the idea for the project from a podcast – was informed of the date of Int’l Women’s Day on the radio and social media, and then decided to do this project.

[Reply]

• IB Biology seniors acknowledge women in science

Eastern African association leader reflects on school year

Robotics’ year draws to a close

Future plans for Roots and Shoots

MED Club hosts final speaker

New Student Council elected for next year

Birdfeeder preps for the summer

Film Club determines future leadership

Feminism Club concludes first year

DECA plans trip to New York

Orchestra’s last concert of the year