Park’s precinct prevails

Park serves as a voting precinct for this years election
Alan Gardner
Community memberrs voted in the Park High School activity center on Nov. 7. The Park election happened last week.

For the past couple of years, Park’s high school has been a voting precinct for the community to use. This year the polls opened Nov. 7 in the activity center. With the construction, Park voters had to share the space with students during the school day.

According to social studies teacher Emma Engebretson, it’s great to incorporate Park into the voting journey.

“It’s a great way to engage the community in both our high school and also engage our high school in the election process,” said Engebretson.

Park is the precinct number seven this year. Ross Penna, the chair for precinct seven, said even with the construction that Park is undergoing, the staff have all been very helpful. 

“The staff have been fabulous today, even given all the issues with construction and the cafeteria being closed, dealing with the staff has been awesome,” Penna said.

Engebretson said there’s more interest among the student body in the election when a polling location is at Park. 

“We talk about what’s going on and have conversations with students,” Engebretson said. “There’s just more investment in voting when it’s happening in our building.”

According to Park voter Sara Rockwell, the high school is a good location for a precinct to be at. The high school is a Park staple and many people know the whereabouts of it.

“I think the visibility of it being a voting site is good, and it’s such a landmark in the neighborhood that people know where to go,” Rockwell said.

Penna said the precinct size was very fortunate to come across because it made the whole process easier and quicker to get through. The large size of the activity center is something that is uncommon. 

“It gives us, particularly where we are this year, a lot of space, which is something that’s really hard to come by in a lot of other locations,” Penna said. “It really helps us set things up to be more efficient for processing voters through.”

Engebretson said she enjoys talking about elections and having Park be a precinct provides everyone all the more incentive to discuss voting.

“I love talking about the elections. I love encouraging voting and just being involved in our government and being active, engaged citizens in our government,” Engebretson said. “Having elections here just gives us even more reason to talk about the elections.”

Rockwell said she lives close to the high school so it’s very accessible and convenient for her. 

“I think it’s a great spot. I live nearby and so it’s easy. I think if you say, for example, ‘go to the high school,’ people know where that is,” Rockwell said.

According to Penna, it’s essential to talk about voting in schools, but also in other places, and it is something that we don’t spend enough time on.

“It is absolutely critical to be discussing voting and civic duty within schools and in multiple settings,” Penna said. “I think it’s one of the things that we don’t spend enough time focusing on.”