Migrants in caravan deserve an opportunity

Inaccurate stereotypes should be dismissed

Art by Maggie Klaers

Art by Maggie Klaers

Art by Maggie Klaers

Art by Maggie Klaers

Talia Lissauer

Stereotypes are all around us, they generalize people. Immigrants and refugees have been given a terrible stereotype that has stuck with them: all immigrants are criminals and rapists.

This stereotype is enforced by President Trump. When he started his campaign, he said Mexico and South America aren’t sending their best people. He has accused the immigrants of committing the crimes that many of the immigrants themselves have fallen victim to. According to The Washington Post, Trump said.

“(Latin American citizens are) bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.”

Two years after Trump’s presidential campaign, as a migrant caravan of over 7,000 people are on their way to the United States seeking asylum, the same accusations are being made about why the United States should not give them a chance.

Every person moving with the migrant caravan has their own unique story that has motivated them to travel 20 miles a day since Oct. 12, according to The New York Times. Some have faced poverty, gang violence, unemployment and risked everything to try to enter a place where the government is telling them they are unwanted. It is unacceptable to refuse there needs.

The law of asylum allows for all refugees to stay in the United States if their home country is not safe for them due to their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.

According to the World Population View in 2017, 10.39 percent of the St. Louis Park population is made up of immigrants. These immigrants come from all over the world with a diverse perspective of stories and experiences.

According to Barack Obama, America has always welcomed immigrants with open arms. This cannot stop because of a inaccurate stereotype that our president believes. Everyone is their own person. Race, religion and nationality are all just a way to describe someone’s identity but not their character.

If you are going to judge someone on the religion they practice, where they are from or the color of their skin, you might as well walk away now, because we are all unique. Before making an assumption on immigrants think about Park and how we are surrounded by immigrants that have broadened the diversity and made a major impact in the city.

Talia Lissauer, Special Projects & Profiles Editor

Hey everyone my name is Talia Lissauer, I’m a sophmore and this is my first year on Echo. I play soccer all year long and in the winter I downhill ski...