Conservative win may have unintended consequences

Kavanaugh confirmation could increase interest in upcoming election

Samantha Klepfer

All across the nation women cried as Christine Blasey Ford gave an emotional statement describing when Supreme Court justice Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her in college. Nine days later the Senate voted to confirm Kavanaugh with a two-vote margin in Kavanaugh’s favor, according to The New York Times. I was devastated when I heard this because I knew the impact of someone like Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court could be massively negative.

If the women (and men) of the nation use this as a wake up call, we might make a huge difference in the Nov. 6 election. In this sense, Kavanaugh being elected to the Supreme Court may prove to be the push needed for liberals to show up in full force to vote.

I experienced this exact motivation after I heard the results of the Senate vote; I felt determined, focused. It is shocking that our country and our political system is messed up enough to allow Kavanaugh to hold one of the most powerful positions in the world. It made me realize there is a lot of work that needs to be done in our country — work that I can do.

Though the new Supreme Court justice seems like a big win for conservatives, it may actually cause them to lose the advantage they held politically prior to the 2018 election. Getting so many liberal voters riled up right before the election is not something that bodes well for the conservative faction. If enough people are galvanized into action by this event, this could have a significant impact on the political makeup of the Senate and House of Representatives, both of which have been majority Republican since the 2016 presidential election.

Kavanaugh’s success motivated me more than anything else in my life to get involved in politics. I believe that I am not the only one who experienced a renewed desire to enact change after hearing this. Hopefully this frustrating event will open voter’s eyes to the misogyny and rape culture that is prevalent in our society, right before a crucial election. Having Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court is a huge loss for liberal’s everywhere, thankfully it could end up having unintended consequences.

Samantha Klepfer, Writer

Hi my name is Samantha Klepfer and I am a writer and editor for the Echo. I like chocolate and books. I also play volleyball and I like to watch Netflix....