Girls’ golf suffers loss to Southwest

Team recuperating after minimal practice time

Girls’ golf suffers loss to Southwest

Sophomore girls' golf member Brianna Dahl takes a swing on the fairway at the match May 2 against Southwest at Theodore Wirth Golf Course. The next match will be May 6 at Crystal Lake Golf Course.

Ruby Stillman

Ruby Stillman

Ruby Stillman

Despite a tough loss to Southwest in their latest match, junior Lily Rostal said she felt the team persevered by encouraging teammates and spending time together after the match.

“I think we all really bonded as a team and we got through the match together,” Rostal said. “At the tee box we would all stand there and after someone would hit we would cheer them on, and we all went out to dinner afterwards too.”

Freshman Jordan Clarke said she did not anticipate the outcome of the match May 2, but recognizes bad matches happen sometimes.

“I felt confident in my game and I had no reason for worry. But, when I got a couple holes into the match I was a little worried it wasn’t going to be great, and it didn’t end up being great — you win some you lose some,” Clarke said.

According to coach Matt Stangl, lack of practice has been difficult for the team, and he plans on adding discussions to the team’s approach.

“I think we’re still working on improving right now. It’s been a short season given the weather, so we’ve been out of practice at the range and not on the course,” Stangl said. “(Instead) we’ll meet at the high school (and do) some in-classroom discussion. I think they’re improving, but I think we have more work to do.”

Rostal said she also feels the repercussions of practice shortages due to weather conditions, and feels this impacted the match against Southwest.

“I did not feel prepared going into the match because we haven’t had very many practices just because of rain and weather. We would have been practicing our drives and more long shots, (but) it was just really slushy and gross outside,” Rostal said.

According to Stangl, water and elevation made the course the most difficult the team has played on this season.

“There was a fair amount of water on that golf course, and you can get in trouble if you aren’t keeping the ball straight. There’s some elevation changes on the golf course too (which) makes it more difficult, and it’s a long course,” Stangl said. “It’s been the hardest course that I’ve seen them play this year so far.”

Clarke said she needs to further develop certain skills she is struggling with, but it is difficult to know if her practice will show up in the match.

“I think determining where to stand with certain clubs (is what I need to improve), and going out and practicing helps me determine how far back to stand and how far I’ll hit it,” Clarke said. “But you don’t know how far you’ll hit it or how well you’ll actually do until you get out there because matches are different than practicing because you’re actually doing it.”

According to Stangl, although the team has not been doing very well, he is optimistic about the rest of the season and expects weather to cooperate.

“I think we’re finally getting into a rhythm now with the team. I think the weather is moving in the right direction and we’re getting some more routine set up for practices and matches,” Stangl said. “I think it will only be moving in a positive direction going forward — I can’t foresee any challenges unless the weather changes drastically on us.”

Girls’ golf will have its next match at 2 p.m. May 6 at Crystal Lake Golf Course.

Ruby Stillman, Social Media Editor

Hi, I’m Ruby. Some people call me Rubithus. I like Pad Thai and quesadillas. I do theatre and social activism and I like warm weather and face masks.

Sofia Seewald, News Editor

Hey there! My name is Sofia Seewald and I am a proud News editor for Echo! When I’m not doing Echo things, I spend my time playing tennis, volunteering...

Ethan Meisler, writer/photographer

Hi, my name is Ethan and this is my first year on Echo. Outside of school, I enjoy downhill skiing, mountain biking and hanging out with friends. I love...