Girls’ ultimate beats Blake

Team’s universe point wins close game

Junior+Svea+Bleske+jumps+to+block+a+Blake+player+from+catching+the+disc.+Girls%27+Crush+ultimate+won+the+game+against+Blake+9-8+April+30.+

Girls’ ultimate beats Blake

Junior Svea Bleske jumps to block a Blake player from catching the disc. Girls' Crush ultimate won the game against Blake 9-8 April 30.

Carissa Prestholdt

Carissa Prestholdt

Carissa Prestholdt

Kaia Myers and Isabel Kjaer

As junior captain Ally Feller reflected on her team’s recent game against Blake, she said she was proud of how the players worked together in a tough game.

“We all played really well. We were all really into it until the very last point, which we won on a universe point,” Feller said. “A universe point is when it’s the very last point of the game and the teams are tied. Whoever wins that one point wins the whole game.”

Coach Kevin Ruda said players worked together to score points and to improve their defense since past games.

“Our offense was nice and crisp and clear and we know when we should and should not throw the disc. We are possessing it as well as resetting it. Also defense — that was much better overall,” Ruda said.

According to sophomore Marit Gabel, the team’s experience playing against different teams at the Madison Mudbath tournament improved its skills.

“Madison helped by having more time playing different teams instead of a scrimmage or something that’s more scripted. In games it’s much more fluid,” Gabel said.

Feller said the team wants to work on some other plays in practice now that the weather has improved.

“We could improve on our horizontal stack and focus on that in the beginning,” Feller said. “We have not had much practice because of the weather.”

According to Gabel, the team is striving to talk more on the field to help its plays run more smoothly.

“I would like to improve communication between our players because that’s not always our strong suit and that’s something I struggle with personally too,” Gabel said.

The next girls’ ultimate tournament is May 11-12 in Blaine, Minnesota.

Kaia Myers, Features Editor

Hi! My name is Kaia. I’m a junior and this is my first year on Echo. In my free time, I love running, hanging out with friends, making smoothies and...

Isabel Kjaer, Design Editor

Whats brackin bruh? I am named Isabel. Yo soy el editor de diseño. I act really confident about design but really I don’t know much, and usually ask...