Film Club determines future leadership

Current management chooses next year’s presidents

Film Club members Stephanie Reuter, Vince Callahan, Chloe O'Gara and Ruth Hope discuss

Isabelle Becker

Film Club members Stephanie Reuter, Vince Callahan, Chloe O'Gara and Ruth Hope discuss "Moonlight" before watching the film March 12. The club recently decided on its leadership for next year.

According to current president of the Film Club senior Amira Stone, new leadership roles for the club next year were chosen based on interest expressed via Facebook.

“Essentially I made a few posts in the Facebook group and I asked if anyone was interested in  carrying on leader positions for next year,” Stone said.

Adviser Andrew Carlson said he hopes the club meets more frequently next year and learns more about film.

“I hope we have a more regular schedule, meeting more often, being able to allow for time as a group to have discussion about the film we watched. (I hope we also) become more knowledgeable in the camera angles, and the type of camera shots that are being used to send a message to the audience,” Carlson said.

According to Stone, she and club leaders Vince Callahan and Ruthie Hope chose juniors Ben Romain and Lukas Levin to be next year’s Film Club presidents, and sophomore Emma Kempf to be vice president.

“(Ben Romain and Lukas Levin) were the ones who expressed the most interest so then I talked to them, and also Emma (Kempf) who is going to be the (vice president) because she was expressing interest as well,” Stone said.

Stone said she hopes the attendance for the club will be maintained throughout the year.

“I can hope we can keep a lot of kids in the club and coming to meetings and going to events throughout the year, not just the beginning,” Stone said.

Romain said he has goals for recruiting new people to join the club next year.

“For recruitment, we are going to set up a booth at freshman orientation hopefully. (We will also) probably put up some posters and walk into some classrooms and talk about (Film club),” Romain said.

Stone said she thinks the new leadership will be able to draw in new people from different grades.

“I think they’ll do great. I’m excited that Lukas and Ben will be seniors but also that Emma will be a junior so hopefully she can carry on involvement and also get more people in her grade or younger to get involved and stay involved,” Stone said.

Romain said he thinks the new leaders will work well together in running the club.

“I think Emma is going to be a good vice president because we are all really on the same page, and also it’s not like one of us has more authority than the other one, we all kind of share equal amounts of power,” Romain said.

Stone said she feels confident the new presidents and vice presidents will perform well.
“We met with them, Ruthie and I, and talked about what we hope for them to do next year and any questions they had for next year,” Stone said. “They were really enthusiastic and I trust they will be good leaders.”