Sophomore strives for career in music

Sophomore Joe Holloway mixes a Kendrick Lamar song in his bedroom Feb. 7. Holloway has been DJing for approximately a year-and-a-half and focuses on heavy bass and trap music.

Peter Sherno

Peter Sherno

Anna duSaire

What made you decide to become a DJ?
I have always been in love with music. Ever since I was little, I have loved Michael Jackson. He is one of my idols; I used to dance to him a lot. I just always was involved in music, and then about four years ago I realized what a DJ was and what they looked like and what they did. I kind of fell in love with that. So for the past year-and-a-half I have been practicing and just trying to be a DJ.

What do you like about being a DJ?
What I like most about being a DJ is the music. That is my main thing — I’m in it for the music. Right now I’m a small DJ. I’m a bedroom DJ, basically. If my mom is listening to my music and I see her react to the way I play, and if she dances to it and she likes it, then that means I’m doing good — it just gives you a special feeling.

What DJs or musicians do you look up to?
DJ Jazzy Jeff. He is amazing — I love him. I love Jam Master Jay from (RUN D.M.C.) Whatever kind of involvement with hip hop artists I think is really dope.

What inspires you and your music?
Right now the age of music is different and it is changing and it is always going to be changing, and it’s awesome. I think it is going to break boundaries and go into different genres and combine, too.

What kind of music do you make?
The music that I make right now is trap, or heavy bass. Just simple beats. Right now I’m just learning the ropes.

How did you start making your own music?
I take lessons with a producer in Minneapolis. He is a local artist and he is also a DJ. I look up to him because he has a lot of connections and he knows people, and so I just thought that making music comes hand-in-hand with (being a DJ), so I just want to make music.

How has being a DJ helped you in other parts of your life?
It has helped my skills by being committed to one thing, Sticking to it and perfecting whatever it is you’re doing. In some ways I have kind of found what I want to do in life. I have my mind set on that and I’m focused on that.

What have you learned from being a DJ?
People love different types of music. Sometimes you need to sacrifice some things in life to get what you want. Like chilling with friends. Music is a universal language. It takes a lot of hard work and practice to get where you want to be. Even though you’re still learning, always have the mindset that you are going to succeed.

What are your dreams for the future?
My dream is to make a living off of DJing and making music.

What advice would you give to students who are looking to start a music career?
Just do what you want to do. Know what kind of music you want to make, know how you’re going to do it, when your going to do it, If you can afford it. Just start as soon as possible. Do what makes you happy and if that makes you happy then go for it. That is the main goal. It is all for the music. The end goal is the art.